Doesn't the image of a simple, white cottage in the summer make you want to run around barefoot and swing in a hammock all day? Me too.
Whether you have a cottage or not, you can transform your space this Summer into an oasis by creating an easy, breezy, relaxed, no-care style. And...you don't have to spend a lot, consume anything new, or get overwhelmed by a ton of work to get the look. Just pick up a paintbrush and a can or two of white paint. Yep, it really is that easy and makes a huge impact in creating a casual summer home without a big budget.
Here are some simple and easy ideas to achieve that casual cottage feel without spending much or consuming new products:
- Give your kitchen cabinets a face-lift by painting them white.
- Sand down old floors and whitewash them instead of purchasing new.
- Spray paint dated lighting in white.
- Spray paint old photo frames white and hang yours or your kids own artwork.
- Paint out wooden dining chairs and the table.
- If you have nice wood trim in your home, leave it as is for a natural, breezy look with white walls. If it's dark and not in great shape, or if it's already painted anything other than white, paint away my friend.
- Gather summer-ey items like shells, rocks, branches, and yard sale baskets and vintage vases to create simple vignettes.
- Gather some books and magazines together in baskets.
- Use clothing for wall art as well as function: hang summer hats, scarves, and light throws on hooks.
- Bring in local plants, flowers, branches and even grasses to create an indoor-outdoor feel.
Check out these photos of a home in Denmark that hits the mark for a casual, serene, summer home. All images by Cristina Olsen via The Guardian .
And finally, a beautifully restored cottage in Hawaii that proves that white paint and simple, natural materials are all you need to create casual comfort. Via Remodelista.