Want to get a jump on Spring cleaning and also make your home healthier and more eco-friendly? Tackle your bathroom(s). Here are six quick and easy things you can do to refresh your bathroom to make it both stylish and healthy - for you and the planet.
1. Ditch your plastic vinyl shower curtain and/or liner. Plastic shower liners are made with PVC which contains carcinogens and other toxins that off-gas and leave toxins in your home. Get rid of them now. If you must still use plastic for your liner, switch to one made of PEVA. PEVA (and EVA as well) is still plastic, but it's PVC-free, chlorine-free and biodegradable, with many fewer VOC's emitted into your home. Even better, switch your curtain to a natural material like 100% cotton, linen or hemp.
2. Swap your toiletries for all-natural and organic options. Using organic hand-made soaps not only cleans your hands and body without the added chemicals that come with commercial brands, they also make your bathroom smell great. Stock up and store them in a glass jar and open the lid to wonderfully refresh the room.
3. Use a natural solution for cleaning your bathroom. Vinegar, water and a dash of eco-friendly dish detergent or castille soap make a great all-purpose cleaner, and baking soda works wonders for scrubbing mold. To prevent mold in the first place, keep a bottle of water with tea tree essential oil in the shower and spray down daily. Tea tree oil is a natural mold killer.
4. Bring in nature in the form of plants, flowers, branches or reclaimed wood. They add an organic touch to the decor, without purchasing consumer goods that have been shipped from far away.
5. Put your toothbrush in a medicine cabinet or under the sink. It makes for a nice clean look on your counter, but even more importantly it prevents germs from landing on it after flushing. Eww.
6. Save water. Limit shower time and turn off the tap while brushing your teeth. And if you're ready to invest a bit of time and money, get a low flow shower head and/or a shower head water filter. A low flow toilet is also great, if you are in need of a new one anyway. I wrote in detail about water saving tips in the bathroom here.