The lowly garden shed has grown up. Europeans have embraced using sheds as living space for some time, and it is now catching on in North America as well. It's a way to expand your living space without having to build bigger. Here are 11 reasons why you should think about building a shed in the backyard, or turning your existing shed into an extension of your home.
1. It can be the space you don't have in the house for a home office. Also great if you have clients that come to your office, since they don't need to go in the house.
2. It's a retreat, separate from the house and the rest of its occupants and responsibilities.
3. It can be an art or craft studio where everything has a place.
4. It's an extra room for the kids toys where there's no worry about a mess.
5. It can be a hobby room for say, a musician or gamer, where they can be as loud as they want.
6. How about a yoga studio or gym space?
7. It's a great way to extend outdoor living space from house to patio to dining area.
8. Writer's block? Not in this kind of shed.
9. It can be a beautiful garden room and storage space.
10. It's cost-effective. Only having to design and fill one room is reasonable on the pocketbook but gives a big payout.
11. It will add value to your home. An extra room that is fully functional will certainly add immediate value to your property, in a sustainable way.
So, is your shed living up to its potential?