In an ongoing effort to simplify my life and home, I find that my bedroom, and in particular my bed and bedside table play a big role in my overall wellness and how I feel. This is my safe place, my sanctuary where I rest and relax, where I can forget about the pressures of life. So I don't like to have clutter around my bed. I keep my night stand clean and functional, but also beautiful, since it's what I see when I shut my eyes at night and open them again in the morning. And I make it a rule to not have electronics by my bed - it's a no-screen zone. It's one of the key elements to creating a simple bedside table that promotes healthy, simplified living.
I recently finished a guest bedroom project that had only a tiny space for a bedside table. So I used a simple hanging bulb light to save space on the table top, and of course included a functional bowl to corral necessities and some pretty flowers in a vintage jug.
Here are the rest of the key elements I recommend for a simple, functional and beautiful bed side table that promotes health, wellness and a simpler lifestyle.
- A drawer to keep lip balm, hand cream and a small notebook and pencil for journalling.
- A small pretty bowl or tray to throw earrings, your watch or glasses into at night (and mine usually has a sachet of lavender in it as well).
- A vase of fresh flowers or a lovely green plant to help keep the air fresh and also brighten your day upon waking.
- A small lamp or wall sconce that's bright enough to read by and easy to turn on and off without getting out of bed.
- A shelf or space on the table top or floor to house a few books.
Must Not Haves:
- Any kind of electronics, phones, tablets, laptops or alarm clocks. There is research that we sleep better and have better health all-around without EMF's (electro-magnetic frequencies) and the blue light that comes from electronic clocks and cords. Give your wired-up system a rest at night by keeping them out of your bedroom, or at the very least on the other side of the room from where you bed is.
- Night stand: 2-drawer round table shown in design board from Wayfair. Or as I did in the photos shown, look for a thrift store or vintage piece to DIY.
- Lighting: hanging rustic wood sconce light is available in the shop.
- Bowl and vase for flowers: look for vintage thrift store, antique market or flea market deals.
That's it. Keep it clean. Keep it organized. Keep it simple. Your days will begin on a good note and life will be just a little better. I challenge you to take a look at your night stand. If you don't have one or if yours just isn't working for you, see what you already have in your house. Maybe a sturdy chair or a bench would work. Perhaps there's something you can paint and fix up from a garage sale or thrift shop. Gather the five essentials and then go to bed early to relax and enjoy the simple life! Good luck friends.